The Iowa FAIR Plan Association does not guarantee policy issue. Non-acceptable dwelling or commercial risks include any property that:
- is vacant or unoccupied or;
- has one or more open claim(s) or;
- has unrepaired damages from any previous claim(s) or;
- is noncompliant with local building codes and/or condemned.
Additionally, properties are ineligible for the Homeowners 8 Program if there are unsafe conditions, including, but not limited to:
- broken, cracked, uneven or otherwise faulty steps, porches, decks, sidewalks, patios and/or similar areas;
- downspouts or drains which discharge onto sidewalks and/or driveways;
- an unfenced swimming pool or private pond;
- missing or unsafe handrails when three or more steps are present;
- the property has non-operating vehicles, refrigerators, trampolines or other potentially dangerous objects in the yard;
- ownership of dogs that are known to be dangerous including, but not limited to,: Pit Bull, Chow Chow, Rottweiler, Akita, Bullmastiff, Greyhound, Briard, Malamute, Boxer, Persa Canario, Husky, Australian Cattle Dog, Dalmatian, Mastiff, Old English Sheep Dog, Belgian Shepherd, Malinois, Great Dane, Border Collie, Doberman,, German Shepherd, Shar-Pei, and Great Pyrenees or;
- Ownership of three or more horses or other riding animals, unless the applicant has a liability policy with limits of at least $100,000 per occurrence providing coverage for the ownership and use of the horses or other riding animals.
Complete underwriting rules and eligibility guidelines are available on the website.