Receive a cancellation letter?

If you received a cancellation letter for your property insurance, you probably found our name at the bottom. Or, you might be having trouble getting or qualifying for insurance on your property. We may be able to help you but you must use an Iowa licensed agent to receive a quote from the Iowa FAIR Plan Association. The agent will first confirm your eligibility to get a quote from the Iowa FAIR Plan Association. Next, the agent will apply on your behalf to the Iowa FAIR Plan Association. All licensed property and casualty agents in Iowa are producers for the Iowa FAIR Plan Association so contact any licensed agent for assistance.

First, get an insurance agent.

The Iowa FAIR Plan Association (IFPA) exists to make basic property insurance available to qualified applicants. However, we only work through producers - the term we use for the insurance agent that works for you.

We recommend that you shop with your licensed insurance agent to see if you are eligible for a voluntary policy. If you are not eligible, your agent can apply for a policy with the IFPA.

customer service team

Consumer Frequently Asked Questions

The Iowa FAIR Plan Association was created by the insurance industry and the State of Iowa to provide coverage on properties that do not qualify for insurance in the standard insurance market.

Your insurance policy was not written through the Iowa FAIR Plan Association. When you receive a Notice of Cancellation, contact your agent or contact the company for information about the Notice of Cancellation.

Insurance companies writing property insurance in Iowa are required to put contact information about the Iowa FAIR Plan Association on all Notices of Cancellation. 

Not necessarily. It depends on the reason for the cancellation.  If you are being canceled for nonpayment of premium you may be able to have your policy reinstated by making a premium payment within the grace period.  If you are being canceled for other reasons you may be able to get the policy reinstated. Ask your agent if similar coverage is available with another company. 

The Iowa FAIR Plan Association (Plan) should be considered a last resort when seeking property insurance coverage. The Plan’s policies provide basic Fire, Lightning, Wind, and Hail coverage which is generally less coverage than most standard market companies. 

It is impossible to compare premiums between what you have had in the past and what the Plan can offer without a complete quote. Contact a licensed insurance agent and have them help you through the application process so we can provide you with an accurate quote.

Ask your agent to review the Iowa FAIR Association's website or contact the Plan for help with preliminary eligibility and providing a premium quote.

Any agent licensed to write property insurance in Iowa can write a policy through the Plan.

A FAIR (Fair Access to Insurance Requirements) Plan policy is a type of insurance policy that provides coverage for high-risk properties or areas that are difficult to insure through traditional insurance companies. Forced placement, on the other hand, is a process where a lender may purchase insurance on behalf of a borrower who has failed to obtain adequate insurance coverage for their property.

While forced placement may provide immediate coverage, it is typically more expensive than a FAIR Plan policy and may not provide the same level of coverage or protection. Additionally, forced placement insurance may not be tailored to the specific needs of the property or the borrower. Often the property owners equity in the property is not insured.

In contrast, a FAIR Plan policy is designed to provide coverage for high-risk properties or areas and is typically priced competitively with other insurance options. FAIR Plan policies may also offer more comprehensive coverage and may be tailored to meet the specific needs of the property or the borrower.

Ultimately, the decision to purchase a FAIR Plan policy or use forced placement will depend on a variety of factors, including the specific needs of the property or borrower, the availability of insurance options, and the cost of coverage. It is important to carefully consider all options and consult with a licensed insurance professional before making a decision.

Have another question?

paying with a credit card


A deposit is required when you apply for insurance with IFPA. Once you are approved, payments can be made online via the IFPA website.

  • And thanks to you, there is someone to insure my house. - Lynne M.
  • Thank you SO MUCH for this!! It’s truly a BLESSING!!! - Jill H.
  • Thank you for being so helpful, we appreciate all that you do! - Miranda B.
  • I was able to get a loan to fix my home with your insurance. - Raul G.
  • Thanks for helping me find insurance. - Roger P.
Scroll to Top